Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Let's Roast Okra!


Never saw this one coming, but I am now roasting rather than frying okra. It's easy and cleaner and (of course) better for you (I guess?) than frying. And we all love it--it's still crunchy and chewy and all that. In any case, being grain-free, I had to ditch the cornmeal.

So, cut the cap off the okra, then slice it into two or three pieces using a long diagonal cut. You want long skinny pieces with a slanty side. Toss with a lot of olive oil (any kind) and kosher salt. Roast on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 400 for about 30 minutes, turning once before the end. Go for dark edges.

6 comments:

Tracy said...

I'll have to remember this for the coming season. Okra isn't popular here in Australia but I grow it and am always looking for something different to try.

Julie said...

We had this at a restaurant and loved it. I can't wait to try it at home.

Margo said...

Have you tried grilling it? It's our favorite way! Choose young, small pods and brush them with oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill until blackened in spots and getting soft. Probably a similar flavor to the roasting, but the heat is outside and you get the smokiness of the grill too.

Lisa said...

I was wondering about corn, Anna. So, you wouldn't eat popcorn?

Lisateresa

Unknown said...

I will definitely try this out!

Fiona said...

Oh how I love roast okra. It's hard to find okra in our stores, but when I do, I buy a lot! Just found some beauties on the weekend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails