Thursday, January 29, 2015

Luxurious Almond Cake, in Chocolate


Remember how I said I was going to do our Almond Cake in chocolate? It took two tries, but we got it right. It's a simple substitution of cocoa for some of the almond flour. Here you go:

•Luxurious Almond Cake, in Chocolate•

Line a 9-inch cake pan or springform pan with parchment paper, and spray it with Pam. Preheat the oven to 350.

Separate the yolks and whites of 5 eggs.
In a large bowl, whisk the yolks together with 1 cup of sugar, from which you have removed 2 T.
Also whisk in a pinch of salt and 1 t. vanilla.

Using an electric mixer, whip the whites until they are almost soft peaks.
Then add the 2 T. sugar and whip until they are legitimate soft peaks.

Take your whites over to the bowl with the yolks. Dollop a big spoonful of whites into the yolks, and with a rubber scraper, gently stir them in to lighten the yolk mixture. Then scrape the rest of the whites in, and fold them in lightly. Now sift 1 c. almond meal with 1/2 c. cocoa, and sprinkle that mixture over your batter, and fold it in. And then sprinkle another 1/2 c. almond meal into the bowl and fold it in too.

Scrape into your prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes, or until the top is barely firm and springy to the touch. The cake gets moister the second day (ha! if it comes to that!).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Will have to try this! The recipe reminds me of my favourite gluten-free brownie recipe, which you might like to try - it is dairy-free as well. I make these more often than I'd like to admit, and I'm not running for any marathons - except those in which I chase a three-year-old down the sidewalk.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.ca/2006/01/dark-chocolate-brownies.html

Polly said...

Yum! I plan to try this soon; am always on the hunt for new gluten-free options for us.

Polly said...

Well, we finally baked this today because we got sleeted-and-snowed in (again) and I must bake under those conditions. It was a winner! Both children loved it, and we have plenty left for tomorrow.

Thank you! It is always so good to expand the gluten-free cake horizon. I have my go-to recipe (quantities of butter, v. rich) but I love the almond here and the texture is even better than I'd expected.

Related Posts with Thumbnails