Monday, July 28, 2014

The "Zoe Dress" in Pistachio Silk


Here's a sweet dress pattern from an independent pattern designer, Sew Serendipity. I liked the really wide inset waistband and elbow-length sleeves, so I made it up in some pistachio-colored raw silk I had in my stash.


I decided to lengthen the skirt by five inches, which was fine except I only remembered to lengthen the *side panels* and not the center front and back. So they got an extra design detail in that they have a five-inch band at the bottom. Oh well. Even with five extra inches this is not a very long dress. If I make it up again I'll probably put at least another four inches on there. Lately I just want the gravitas of a lot of skirt, it seems.

This was a very easy fit, and the only problem I encountered with the pattern was that the front side panel piece was missing the grain line. It wasn't the kind of thing you could eyeball (definitely not cut on the straight grain) but I flipped it over and modeled it after the back side panels, which seemed to be right, and it hangs nicely.



3 comments:

Lisa said...

Nice job! The bottom panel looks fine.

Lisateresa

Cathy said...

Thank you for sharing a pattern company; better yet, for giving your personal experiences with a particular pattern.

Polly said...

I like your rendition!

I have spent a good amount of time studying the Serendipity patterns, but haven't taken the plunge yet. Maybe this fall....

Related Posts with Thumbnails