Monday, February 17, 2014

Kimono Quilt Finished


This beauty is finished and spread on a bed! It just took a week because I didn't put a lot of quilting in it--just outlined the squares, and then did a little diamond in the blue intersection squares.


I bound it with a black and white print.


But let me turn your attention to the marvelous piecing. The artist who did this alternated her nine-patch blocks between solids and string-quilted squares. But the string-quilting was often done in a very deliberate way (see above) to bring even more linear interest into the pattern.


These pieces are miniscule. The two-inche-square piece above has SIX strips sewn together, some just a sliver. I would have liked to have met this lady. I feel like I know her now. And I'm happy to have my hands on her quilts.

10 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I'm always envious of the quilt tops and fabric you find at the thrift stores - nothing even comes close in my neck of the woods!

Lovely job on the quilting - those little diamonds are just right :D I'm curious, what are you using for batting?

Julie G

Jodes said...

her quilts are in good hands, being appreciated by you!

Margo said...

It's just gorgeous. Maybe my favorite of all the quilts you've done so far. I like how your quilting choices work with it. Well done!

Anna said...

Julie, I use an all-cotton needle-felted batting. It's thin and floppy.

Lisa said...

What a beauty! The polka dotted parts remind me of old-fashioned ladies' dresses.
It's good to know about the batting - a floppy batting is nice.

Lisateresa

Mary Ellen Barrett said...

Very pretty!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Thank you, Anna :D I like that type myself - not too thick or stiff, but gentle.

Carol (in MD) said...

This is is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

So very thrifty on her part and yours! Do you quilt with a frame of any kind, or just by hold it in your lap?

Anna said...

I just lap quilt--generally by the wood stove.

Related Posts with Thumbnails