Monday, May 20, 2013

In the Far North


Well, we're in Germany for two weeks! We arrived yesterday morning and started pretending we didn't have jet lag--found a shady table near the Cathedral and ordered bratwurst. A bird arrived to take a bath in the fountain beside us.


The Cathedral (the Dom) is Cologne's landmark building. 


We looked in right after Mass was over and the air was still filled with incense.


Lots of votives burning.


A short walk took us over the Rhine.


An early supper in a Turkish restaurant--we were in a hurry to get out to the Westfriedhof Cemetery before the gates closed, so the Composer could visit his grandparents' graves.


Daisy commuting.


So many beautiful stones, trees, and plantings. And birds! Even the most downtown parts of Cologne are filled with birdsong.



12 comments:

Hana - Marmota said...

I suppose Felix would love Cologne, then? ;-)
Enjoy your time in Europe!

COSMO said...

So cool, come to Czech Republic:)

Margo said...

oh, wow, you do get around! I absolutely LOVED Germany when I visited. I'm Swiss-German from a few centuries back and there is an amazing bone-deep recognition.

Enjoy your time!

Anonymous said...

How nice! Have a great time!!

Barb in Nebraska

Anonymous said...

That's funny -- I think of Colognes as "down south". Hope you're having a great trip -- viel Spaß!

Lisa said...

Ah, wonderful for the Composer especially! And good that Clara is able to go this time.

Lisateresa

McKee Family said...

Did you know that earthing or grounding will reset your clock when you arrive at your destination and alleviate jet lag? Just go barefoot, sit on the grass, put your hands on the ground for at least 30 minutes. It will also refresh you when you are tired....

Farrah said...

I hope you have a wonderful trip! The Composer should feel at home there and unlike your trip to France, he can speak the language. I look forward to reading all about your trip!

Melinda said...

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing your travels with us. I'm looking forward to reading more!

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos. I hope you all have a wonderful time. Is it chilly there? You're all wearing sweaters.

Dee/NY

Polly said...

How WONDERFUL. Enjoy your trip--I will enjoy seeing the photos and reading the descriptions of your days (I loved the Paris posts last year).

Sarah said...

I hope you will have a lovely stay in 'my' country. The weather is a bit chilly right now, isn't it.

Cologne is a great place to visit! :-) I wonder where-else you will travel to.

Have a great time! (And don't eat too much Bratwurst ;-)
Isla

Related Posts with Thumbnails