Monday, October 04, 2010

Colette Patterns: The Crepe Dress


My pale blue version of the Crepe dress pattern by Colette. It went together very nicely as their other dresses have for me, and truly the instructions are a pleasure to work with.

I would be even happier with the patterns if they had a few more markings, like notches at the tops of the skirt pieces. TWICE now I have sewn skirt panels in incorrectly because there aren't enough distinguishing marks on the pieces. I'll add my own next time, but would it hurt to indicate center front on a pattern piece? Thought not.


Ignore my whining. It's a beautiful pattern and the dress you'll get totally depends on the fabric you choose. I went with a cloud-like blue confection for a dressy summery dress, but in a bright print (with contrast bias binding instead of facings) this would read as a classic housedress. And the Colette website shows it in a sophisticated silk.

Final thought: this is the most beautiful shaped cap sleeve I've ever seen.

9 comments:

Carolina Gal said...

A beautiful house dress, Anna. From my view of the picture, it almost appears as a large dotted swiss material.

Anonymous said...

would love to see a close-up of the cap sleeve and why it is the most beautiful one you've seen ... best fitting? depth?

I will try a colette pattern for recital dress for daughter. Thanks for the pattern marking comments.

deb meyers

Polly said...

Very nice!

In spite of the pattern marking issue, would you consider it a good pattern for a beginner-dressmaker? (As in, I've sewn plenty of skirts, odds and ends, aprons, etc, but not a 'whole' dress!) It seems to have a forgiving look that might suit me postpartum early next year.

Anna said...

Absolutely, Polly! It doesn't have any tricky construction or fitting issues, goes together perfectly (IF you follow the directions), and has quite a bit of flexibility for a changing figure. Do it!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see you're back!! Let me reset you as my homepage...
Gracie

Elizabeth said...

That is such a wonderful dress - but may I ask about that dress form? Is that a self-made one or some sort of modified store bought one?

Polly said...

I think I'm going to give it a go, then! I want a pretty (and forgiving) frock or two to wear during the dark winter months with a sweet newborn and energetic 3-year old. It will make me happy.

Thank you!!

marycelery said...

thank you for the clear and complete review of the pattern! I love the cloud like blue!

Sharyn Sowell said...

Just found your blog and I love it. How creative you are! And while I don't get much time to sew lately we have much in common. Thank you for sharing. Blessings, Sharyn

Related Posts with Thumbnails