Thursday, August 28, 2008

Books for Birders

Felix offers these book and magazine recommendations for beginning birders:

The Sibley Guide to Birds, David Allen Sibley. "The best field guide, good for all of North America. It's a little bulky to take into the field but for that you can use the Eastern or Western edition."

Identify Yourself, Bill Thompson III et. al. "It's a very good reference for basic identification problems, like shore birds and stuff. It's also good for individual identification problems like female buntings, the wren plovers, and empidonax flycatchers."

Sibley's Birding Basics, David Allen Sibley. "It's not a field guide at all. Basically it's the mechanics of bird-watching. How to bird."

Wild Bird Magazine, published bi-monthly. "Very informative, gorgeous pictures, helps you get into the birding loop. It's where I found the American Birding Association, eBird, and other stuff."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Felix. I work in a library, and am pretty sure we have Sibley's but I'm going to check.

AnnaVallance said...

Thank you, Felix, for the list. I also work at a library and I am pretty sure that we have the Sibley Guide. I think it's time I checked it out.

Crabapple Blossoms said...

Thanks ever so much, Anna! I appreciate that you and Felix took the time to compile this list. My budding ornithologist also appreciates your time! ~ Michelle

Related Posts with Thumbnails