Thursday, December 20, 2007

End of the Semester

Everyone is enjoying the wonderful feeling of having finished the first half of the school year. Clara and Bella worked extra hard last week to get to the halfway point in their books. Felix had his first taste of final exams (aced!), and Giles now has an official college GPA to brag about.

So, a little present shopping this morning. Oh, the joy of a driving teenager! I stayed home with Daisy while the girls spent all their money. After they got home we turned my bed into a wrapping station:


and pulled out all the ribbon rolls I've been picking up at the thrift store.

With no school to oversee, I had time to make up a batch of genuine French bread (inspired the January issue of Living) and see how it looked on my newly thrifted snowflake tablecloth.


Good thing there's no school tomorrow either, as it took us only ten minutes to eat those loaves, and we'll need more in the morning.

9 comments:

Davene said...

Gone in 10 minutes? Wow, that's some fast eating! But they look so good, I can see why they disappeared!

Congrats to everyone on a successful first semester!

momawake said...

We just finished our 1st term for the school year also. I'm so thankful to get to Christmas with that finished. Now we get to take a weeks off. Yippy!

Kelly said...

Hello!
I have followed your blog for some time now, I enjoy it so much! I have used many of your recipes you have supplied! I was wondering if you could tell me what type of home schooling resources you use?
Is it a curriculum or something you have put together yourself?
My children are 5 1/2 and 12 1/2, and this is my very first year home schooling, it has been such a joy!

Winter Blessings~
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Fresh bread doesn't last long in our house either. I have been making cheesy bread rolls and a batch of 16 is eaten as soon as it is cool enough. There is something very satisfying about breadmaking.

I live in Australia and we have just started our 6 week summer break.I love homeschooling but I am so ready for a holiday.

Dianna said...

I think we would eat that bread in only ten minutes, too, and there are only three in our family! I hope you will share your recipe.

If you're looking for another fun project, you might look at No-Knead Bread. It is so much fun, and it tastes like those expensive, rustic artisan loaves.

Polly said...

I have the sweetest memories of my mom baking loaves of bread that we would then devour right out of the oven.

Your children will always remember these things; they'll stay with them forever. So lovely.

Dove Knits said...

Your last sentence made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

I just like your posts....
Have a very Merry Christmas.

Edi said...

Fresh homemade French bread is the best. And really - you don't want it to last very long, b/c the flavor and texture does not improve with time. It's best to make as much as you can eat in one day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails