Friday, June 29, 2007

"A Place of Delight"

"Cornelia awoke with a great zeal for work upon her. She had dreamed a living room that would lift the whole house out of the sordid neighborhood and make it a place of delight. She had thought out some built-in seats with lockers where many of the odds and ends could be stowed; she had planned to paint the old, cheap dining-room furniture a wonderful deep-cream enamel and decorate it like some of the expensive sets in the stores . . .The set in her mother's room she would paint gray with decorations of little pink buds and trailing vines. The set in her own room should be ivory-white with sepia shadows . . . and little by little the old house should be made over."

--Grace Livingston Hill, Re-Creations

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I've done the same thing tonight--but at 2 a.m., which is why I'm still up at 3, after having cleaned the kitchen, planned a new embroidery project, and mentally redecorated one of the children's rooms. Sometimes I just wish I could sleep! :)

Heather Anne said...

I love 'Re-Creations'! It is so inspiring! I have often thought of that passage as I re-purposed some odd piece of furniture or painted something into new life! I wish I could wake up every day with a zest for work!

G.L.H. said...

Re-creations was always one of my favorites!

Tiffany Mims Shedd said...

I am itching to go paint something. Love the term "re-creations"

Anonymous said...

Love it!! Seems that is what I have done with all our hand-me-down furniture. Thanks for sharing! Elise

Related Posts with Thumbnails