Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Laura Ingalls Wilder Country Cookbook


I have never been very interested in Laura Ingalls Wilder's adult life, since The First Four Years is so profoundly painful to read. But Clara picked up The Laura Ingalls Wilder Country Cookbook at the library last week (see it here), and I am so relieved to know that Laura and Almanzo had a long and truly *happy* life together once they settled in Mansfield, Missouri. This book is a delightful compendium of the recipes Laura cooked with as an adult, quotes from her non-Little House writing, and biographical information. And best of all, the book is loaded with pictures of her kitchen which is fascinating not because Laura was a famous writer, but because it is a shining, perfectly-preserved study of a classic 30's kitchen. Now I must go to Mansfield!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anna, I actually got to go to the museum when I was 12. I think it might have been after we visited you. It was wonderful. It is worth the trip. I didn't get to see inside the house because it was closed that day, but the museum had all kinds of delightful tidbits from the books. For some reason I remember seeing the calling cards that her friends gave her in "Little Town on the Prairie". Sally P.S. I agree that "The First Four Years" is highly depressing.

Kelli said...

I love Laura Ingalls Wilder. Back in my highschool speech class we had to give a speech about a famous person and I chose her.
This cookbook looks wonderful. My library doesn't have it, so I added it to my Amazon wish list.
Have you read "Little House in the Ozarks?" She wrote for Missouri Farm papers and even National magazines, long before the Little House books came along.
This book is filled with so much wisdom, it always inspires me to be a better person.

Speaking of calling cards. www.smallmeadowpress.com sells Laura Ingalls Wilder calling cards. They are just beautiful! I mean to order some one of these days.

Chrissy said...

I'm a LIW fan too. I read The First Four Years as a child and as an adult. From a mother's perspective, it was heartbreaking. Laura and Almanzo endured great tradgedy, yet their strength of character shone through as they continued to strive to make something good of their lives...

Anonymous said...

We live within a few hours of Mansfield and are planning to visit again soon. What is so amazing about the house is how tiny it is -- Laura was quite small as was Almanzo. I read the books 10 times as a child so it was a dream fulfilled to visit her home. Enjoy your blog very much! :) Dana

Related Posts with Thumbnails